A note from Chef Ivan
This is a classic recipe that is repeated in my household. What I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. Not only can you enjoy year-round, but you can also have it in many other forms like: burgers, meatless balls, or even adding it to tofu scramble or on top of toast. I also love this recipe because it’s so nutritious and flavourful. Mushrooms are a great base for their umami flavor and abundancy in B vitamins. Buckwheat is a great gluten-free alternative, providing an ample amount of fibre and minerals like magnesium. I’ve added my favorite Iron Vegan Sprouted Protein to provide a substantial amount of protein, making this a macronutrient-rich meal.
This is sure to be a family favorite meal!
Here’s what you’ll need.
• 1 1/2 cup cooked buckwheat
• 2 cups diced cremini mushroom
• 1/2 piece chopped white onion
• 1 piece diced tomato
• 1 clove minced garlic
• 100 g chopped pecans
• 4 drops liquid smoke
• 1 scoop Unflavoured Iron Vegan Protein
• 1/2 cup oats
• 1 chipotle pepper (canned)
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• Salt, to taste
• 12 mini sweet bell peppers
• 12 cooked mini potatoes
• 12 broccoli florets
1. Sautee the chopped onion in a pan, until golden brown, and add a dash of salt at the very beginning. Add the minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Add the mushrooms little by little, be careful not to crowd them in the pan, until they are brown and crispy. Now add the diced tomato, cook for 2 minutes, then add the pecans until toasted, about 1 minute, then add the chipotle and onion powder. Set aside and let it cool.
2. Set aside 1/2 cup of cooked buckwheat, add the rest to a food processor, along with the mushroom mixture, process until you get a paste.
3. In a bowl, mix the mushroom paste, 1 cup of buckwheat, oats, protein powder, liquid smoke and salt to taste.
4. Take the mixture back to a large pan or pot and sautee for 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Now the fun part; fill the mini sweet bell peppers with the mushroom mixture and set aside. Drizzle the rest of the veggies with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Toss the veggies together so that they're coated in oil.
6. Skewer the veggies and the stuffed mini bell pepper. Place them on the grill and grill for about 15 minutes. Make sure to turn halfway through.
7. Serve right away. You can drizzle with some chipotle bbq sauce at the end or right after grilling