Packed with protein, energizing seeds and vitamin-rich pumpkin + carrot, these muffins are sweet and wholesome – perfect for breakfast or a healthy snack!
• 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
• 2 tablespoons filtered water
• 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
• 1/2 loosely packed cup finely grated carrot
• 1/3 cup coconut sugar
• 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon melted virgin coconut oil
• 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 2 scoops vanilla Athlete's Blend
• 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
• 1/4 pumpkin seeds, plus more for topping if desired
• 1/4 cup chopped pecans
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with parchment paper liners or use a silicone muffin tray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Then, whisk in the remaining wet ingredients.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and use a large wooden spoon to stir until everything is combined.
5. Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin liners. (Since the batter is quite thick, an ice cream scoop is great for this!)
6. If desired, garnish the top of each with a light sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. Press down lightly to ensure they stick to the batter.
7. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out mostly clean.
8. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!