Packed with protein, energizing seeds and vitamin-rich pumpkin + carrot, these muffins are sweet and wholesome – perfect for breakfast or a healthy snack!
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1/2 loosely packed cup finely grated carrot
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon melted virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 scoops vanilla Athlete’s Blend
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 pumpkin seeds, plus more for topping if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with parchment paper liners or use a silicone muffin tray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Then, whisk in the remaining wet ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and use a large wooden spoon to stir until everything is combined.
- Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin liners. (Since the batter is quite thick, an ice cream scoop is great for this!)
- If desired, garnish the top of each with a light sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. Press down lightly to ensure they stick to the batter.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out mostly clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!