A note from Chef Ivan:
“This is a great recipe for summer! If you are looking for more protein support, you can double the quantity of protein powder and an additional cup of oat milk. It's an amazing treat after an intense workout or as a refreshing snack.”
Popcorn and ice cream don’t usually go hand in hand but these popcorn ice cream bars will change your mind. They’re more than just meets the *tastebuds*. Here’s why you won’t find these ice cream bars at your grocery store:
- It’s got popcorn which adds a nutty flavor and an interesting texture. On the nutritional front, you may be surprised to find that it is a a type of whole grain that comes loaded with fiber and antioxidants.
- It's sweetened with natural agave syrup, which doesn’t spike blood sugar as high as white cane sugar.
- It’s loaded with protein, thanks to Iron Vegan’s Athlete’s Blend. With each scoop providing 30 grams of protein, it’ll be hard to find an ice cream bar that boasts the same amount of protein.
We hope you’ll enjoy these unique ice cream bars just as much as we do!
- 3 cups of popped popcorn
- 4 cups oat milk
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ cup agave syrup
- 1 scoop Iron Vegan Athlete’s Blend – French Vanilla
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- In a deep saucepan, over medium heat, pop the popcorn.
- Add oat and coconut milk, agave syrup and cashew butter to the popcorn. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool. Once cooled, blend the mixture, and add the protein powder and salt. Add more agave syrup, to taste.
- Strain the mixture to avoid any non-popped corn kernels.
- Store the mixture in the fridge until well chilled.
- Transfer the mixture into an ice cream machine and proceed to churn it for approximately 25 minutes, or until it reaches a semi-frozen consistency.
- Fill a popsicle mold evenly with the ice cream mixture and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- For the chocolate shell, use the double boiler technique on the stovetop, to add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Melt and transfer to a tall glass.
- Take out a few bars from the molds, while keeping the remaining bars in the freezer, and proceed to dip them in the chocolate. Let any excess chocolate drizzle off. Decorate with salted caramel popcorn, puffed quinoa or amaranth, and even nuts on top.