A savoury breakfast that you can take on the go. Packed with protein, flavour, and sure to delight your taste buds!
A note from Chef Ivan:
I remember back in my hometown, my mom used to make Mexican scrambled eggs on the weekends. Those with handmade corn tortillas and a pot of coffee with cinnamon was the perfect combo to start the day. I was missing home and I decided to make my vegan version of that, using tofu and adding shiitake mushroom for an umami flavour.
Then I said why not turn into a muffin, like a grab and go breakfast and the outcome was delicious! I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Chef Ivan Castro
- 1 package tofu (extra firm)
- 1/3 piece onion
- 2 pieces sundried tomato (diced)
- 2 pieces serrano pepper
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushroom (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 ¾ cup GF flour
- 1 scoop Iron Vegan Sprouted Protein powder – unflavoured
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup vegan cheese (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cup Mexican Tofu Scramble
- 1 ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp flax meal
Step 1: Mexican Tofu Scramble
- First, we need to prepare the tofu scramble. In a bowl crumble the tofu. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms (if using), tomato, sliced serrano pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes, until the mushroom is golden brown. Add more oil if needed. **Every time you sauté onions for any recipe, add salt first, which helps to caramelize the onion, the flavour is completely different if you added it last.
- Add in the crumbled tofu. Stir, salt to taste, remove from the heat and set aside. * Since you’re only going to use 1 ½ cups of this mix you can make tacos or wraps with the left over of the tofu scramble!
Step 2: Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line your muffin tray.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients. Then add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Fill the muffin liners about two-thirds full with the mixture. Top with some vegan parmesan cheese (option to add more serrano pepper and sundried tomato). Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry and clean. Let cool and enjoy!!