These healthy cinnamon swirl pancakes topped with apple-cinnamon chia jam are great any time of day.
Chef Ivan Castro
- ¼ cup Iron Vegan Unflavoured or Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 cup Quinoa Powder
- ¾ cup Hazelnut or Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 ½ cup Oat Milk
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chia Egg (2 Tbsp Chia Seeds + 6 Tbsp of water)
- 2 Tbsp Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Iron Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1 piece Green Apple, peeled and diced
- 1 piece Red Apple, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- ¾ cup Water
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds
- ¼ to ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Anise Star
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
For the pancakes and cinnamon swirl:
- In a small bowl mix the chia seeds with water and let it rest for 5 minutes. In a separate bowl mix together the cinnamon swirl ingredients. Transfer the mix to a plastic squeeze bottle. If you don't have one, you can use a spoon.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add the oat milk and chia egg. If the batter is too thick, you can add a little more water. Do not overmix, the batter should have lumps.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Grease it with coconut oil.
- For each pancake, pour about ¼ cup of batter onto the skillet. Then, using your squeeze bottle or spoon, create a swirl on top of each pancake.
- Cook one side until small bubbles appear in the center, then flip. Let it cook until is lightly browned and cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Add more coconut oil to the skillet as needed.
For the jam:
- Preheat a medium pot over medium heat. Add the coconut oil, then the diced apples (sautéed a bit). Add the coconut sugar, cinnamon, anise star and nutmeg. Let cook for 2- 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 mins, or until the apples are fork tender. Once the jam is cold you can store it in the fridge.
Serve the pancakes with the apple-cinnamon jam on top. Enjoy!
Make your own pantry
- For the Quinoa Flour, put 2 cups of quinoa into a high-speed blender and blend until it's a fine powder.
- To make Almond Flour, add blanched almonds to a blender until fine, around 3-5 mins; do not over blend it.
- Oat Milk, 1 cup rolled oats + 4 cups of water + pinch of salt. Blend it for 45-60 secs, strain trough a super fine mesh strainer (chinois). To sweeten you can add maple, agave syrup or vanilla extract.