Delight your taste buds with a protein-packed burger that pairs well with a variety of toppings.
A note from Chef Ivan:
Patio season is here...well almost here. This recipe will blow your mind. The mix of mushroom and toasted pecan in a burger... ding dong, such a great combo! You will love this protein-packed burger. You can use the same mixture to make burgers, meatless skewers or meatless balls (to make a sandwich or have them with spaghetti).
Chef Ivan Castro
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 2 cups diced cremini mushroom
- 1 cup diced shiitake mushroom
- ½ piece chopped white onion
- 1 piece chopped Small shallot
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 100g chopped pecans
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 scoop unflavoured Sprouted Protein
- 1 chia egg (mix 1 Tbsp chia + 3 Tbsp of water)
- 1 cup cooked buckwheat
- ¼ cup GF breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Boil 1 cup of black or green lentils in water with salt for around 40 minutes.
- Sauté the chopped onion and shallot in a pan until golden brown (add a dash of salt at the very beginning). Add the minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Add the mushrooms little by little, don't crowd them in the pan, and spread them out so that they are only just touching one another. Cook until they are brown and crispy (give the mushroom the attention they deserve, trust me!). Then add the pecans and cook until toasted, around 1 minute. Set aside and cool it down.
- Keep 1/4 cup of the mushroom mixture and add the rest to a food processor with the cup of cooked lentils and process until you get a paste.
- In a bowl mix the mushroom paste, mushroom mixture, cooked buckwheat, protein powder, smoked paprika, chia egg, breadcrumbs, cilantro, and parsley. Add salt to taste.
- Form the mixture into patties which will make 5- 7 burgers.
- Stir fry in a pan for 1-2 minutes on each side or you can bake them at 350º F for 15 minutes. Enjoy!